In August of 2017 the Leavenworth community showed their support of Chelan County Fire District #3 by voting with an overwhelming margin to pass a levy rate increase. Since then we have been hard at work to deliver on the improvements that we promised.
Thanks to the levy rate increase we have been able to:
Increase Staffing to ensure 24/7 coverage
- Hire Dave Nalle as the new Deputy Chief of Support Services and Prevention. Dave brings extensive wildland urban interface and wildland firefighting experience. Dave has been a member of Chelan County Fire District #6 for the past 13 years.
- Hire Mike Smith as a Firefighter and volunteer coordinator. Mike was previously a Firefighter in Prudhoe Bay in Alaska. In addition to his Firefighter duties Mike will be responsible for the recruitment, training, and retention of volunteers.
- Hire Marcus Wells as a Firefighter and mechanic. Marcus is a longtime volunteer with District #3 and brings decades of private sector mechanical and electrical experience. Marcus will be responsible for the maintenance and repair of all equipment and apparatus along with his Firefighter duties.
- Hire Alex Roberts, Chris Lubenow, and Juan Mora as seasonal Firefighters. Alex, Chris, and Juan will be employed during the busy summer months.
- Improve the resident program. Increase the monthly stipend and offer tuition assistance to resident Firefighters who are pursuing a Fire Science degree.
- Increase volunteers monthly stipend by adding incentives for duty coverage, response, and training.
- Upgrade equipment used by volunteer Firefighters. All volunteer Firefighters now have helmet lights, spanner wrenches, and multi tools.
- Pay down debt. Scheduled to pay off half of the department’s debt this year and all of the debt by the end of 2019.
- Started a capital fund to replace tired and/or worn out equipment.
- District home assessment program will start this summer.
- Pre-attack planning for both the business district and the wildland urban interface.
- Fuel reduction program will begin this summer.
We have additional improvements planned and are still working hard to ensure that we are both responsible stewards of the public's money and that we continue to provide excellent service to the Leavenworth community.
If you have any questions or comments please contact Chief O’Brien at (509) 548-7711 or firstname.lastname@example.org